A refuse collection vehicle or RCV is commonly used for transporting waste or refuse, although you can also use it to transport other materials. If you need one for your company, you can either purchase a brand-new or used truck. The latter is a practical choice if you don’t have the money to buy a new one outright. Purchasing a second-hand RCV has its pros and cons. We listed them below to help you decide if it’s the right option for you.
Used RCV pros
- Lower price. Vehicles depreciate fast in value. In just a year, new cars and trucks lose about 15% of their original value. When you buy a used RCV, you can save more on the upfront costs because it will be several times cheaper than one that is brand new. If you are on a tight budget, you can get a second-hand truck that is lower in price but still does the work you need.
- Cheaper insurance costs. Used vehicles, in general, are more affordable to insure. It’s because they are also less expensive to replace. New ones have higher insurance rates since they also cost a lot to repair or replace.
- Find one that’s as good as new. As mentioned, vehicles depreciate in value fast. In just three years, they will have lost almost half of their original value. If you do your research, you might find a used RCV that has only been used for a short period, making it as good as new, but at a much lower cost.
Used RCV cons
- It doesn’t have the latest features. New trucks come out, and they are designed with the latest features. Used vehicles may not have these features since they are older models. However, it may not be a huge deal-breaker since you can customise the truck to your liking, which means you can still have the specific features that you need.
- Higher maintenance and fuel costs. Vehicles are susceptible to wear and tear. Used trucks may no longer be as efficient as when they were brand new. It may lead to higher fuel costs or the need for more frequent maintenance or repairs.
- Hidden issues. There might be problems that you do not know about. Make sure to do a thorough inspection of the RCV and check its repair and maintenance records to have a better idea of its condition.
If you are looking for used RCV sales, see to it that you only deal with a reputable company. Find one that performs regular maintenance on their trucks to ensure that you will not only get one that is cheap, but one which will also work efficiently for a long time.